Your garage door is a crucial part of your home, ensuring the safety and security of your property whilst also boosting its kerb appeal. Choosing the right garage door can improve convenience and functionality, allowing effortless access to your garage. But with a myriad of styles, materials and features available, it can be difficult to know where to begin.
With this in mind, the team at Shutter Spec Security is here to help you choose the perfect garage door for your property with this comprehensive style guide.
Roller Garage Doors
Roller garage doors are fast becoming one of the most popular styles on the market due to their convenience, durability and sleek aesthetic. Roller doors are comprised of multiple horizontal slats, which provide a smooth, vertical opening action. To optimise storage space inside your garage, the door coils into a roll form above the lintel.
What are the benefits of a roller garage door?
- Enhanced security: Roller garage doors are affixed directly to the garage entrance with no discernible entry points, making it incredibly difficult for intruders to force access.
- Energy efficiency: Roller garage doors are typically double-skinned, helping to regulate the temperature of your garage and enhance energy efficiency.
- Easily automated: Whilst many roller garage doors already come automated, their simplistic opening mechanism makes it easy to automate any existing manual ones.
- Space-saving: Roller doors tuck away in a roll at the top of the ceiling, saving valuable space. Because they don’t swing out, you can park as close to the door as you wish to preserve space on your driveway.
Sectional Garage Doors
As the name suggests, sectional garage doors retract upwards in sections, before curving round to slide into the ceiling on tracks. Not only does this innovative design boost kerb appeal, but it also maximises the available space in your garage.
What are the benefits of a sectional garage door?
- Saves driveway space: Like roller doors, sectional garage doors don’t swing outwards. This allows you to park your vehicles close to your garage, saving room on your driveway and making sectional doors the perfect choice for homes with less external space or multiple vehicles.
- Strength: Made from the most robust materials, such as galvanised steel, sectional garage doors are incredibly durable and sure to last for years to come.
- Security: With no visible entry points and a secure locking mechanism, sectional doors give you peace of mind that your property is well-protected.
- Extra insulation: Most sectional garage doors come already insulated to help improve the energy efficiency of your property.
Side Hinged Garage Doors
Side hinged garage doors swing outwards on a hinge to open like a set of double doors. They offer a timeless and homey look, making them perfect for period properties.
What are the benefits of a side hinged garage door?
- Perfect for narrow garages: If your garage is a little on the narrower side, then this style is the perfect choice and will complement its more refined appearance.
- Convenient: Ideal for frequent pedestrian access, side hinged garage doors allow you to easily pop in and out of your garage without opening the whole door. This is perfect if you use your garage as more than just a vehicle storage space.
- Unique appearance: The charming appearance of side hinged doors is akin to traditional double doors found on classic-style homes.
- Highly customisable: Available in both timber and steel and with a range of designs and colours on offer, there is sure to be a side hinged garage door that suits the aesthetic of every property.
Up and Over Garage Doors
One of the UK’s favourite garage door styles, an up and over door will lift outwards and upwards as one whole section, before slotting away under the ceiling. It offers the perfect combination of functionality and durability with a convenient and fuss-free mechanism.
What are the benefits of an up and over garage door?
- Durable: Up and over garage doors are constructed using robust materials, such as wood or steel, to ensure that they can withstand any inclement weather or attempts at forced entry.
- Affordable: Their no-nonsense design means up and over garage doors are typically a more budget-friendly option than other styles.
- Low maintenance: Up and over garage doors boast longevity with minimal maintenance required.
- Straightforward: This simple, single-panel design has sustained its popularity, thanks to its easy operation.
Automated Garage Doors
Otherwise known as motorised or electric garage doors, these remote-operated garage doors are controlled at the simple touch of a button. Automated doors come in a variety of the above styles, so there’s sure to be a product that suits your needs. If you want the convenience of an automated garage door, but aren’t quite ready to replace your current door, the Shutter Spec team can even automate your existing garage door.
What are the benefits of an automated garage door?
- Convenience: Simply put, motorised garage doors are the ultimate in convenience, allowing you to safely open your garage door in seconds. This makes them a godsend when leaving the house on time in the morning, or when you’re hit with a bout of bad weather and would rather stay in your car to open the garage.
- Ideal for those with mobility issues: Bypassing the need to leave the car to open the door, this automated opening is ideal for elderly people or those with mobility issues.
- Increased security: Automated doors are a durable, robust option that offer a high standard of security, making it difficult for intruders to gain access.
- Safety: Some automated options also come with in-built sensors to prevent the door from closing when it senses an object below, making it a child and pet-safe choice.
Insulated Garage Doors
With energy bills skyrocketing and expected to stay at a high price over the coming years, ensuring the energy efficiency of your home has never been more important. Your garage door is often a weak point in the thermal envelope of your home and allows precious heat to escape, so an insulated garage door is a great way to prevent this.
What are the benefits of an insulated garage door?
- Temperature regulation: Insulated garage doors minimise the transfer of heat between the interior and exterior of your garage, ensuring the space is kept at a comfortable temperature all year round.
- Lower energy bills: An insulated garage door can improve the energy efficiency of your home, leading to a reduction in energy bills and providing potential long-term savings.
- Noise reduction: This extra layer of insulation can also help to muffle external noise, making this a must-have if you live in a noisy neighbourhood.
- Increased security: Insulation adds strength and durability to your door, providing an extra layer of protection against forced entry.
Choosing a Material
One of the first decisions you’ll need to make when choosing your new garage door is which material is best for your home. The two most commonly used materials are wood and steel, and both offer their own unique advantages. Your garage door is exposed to the elements on a daily basis, so it’s important that it can withstand the changeable British weather. Steel garage doors provide an exceptional level of durability and will remain in good condition with minimal maintenance required, no matter the weather.
Meanwhile, a wooden garage door is much more susceptible to rain and humidity and can be subject to warping and buckling if not properly maintained. It will require sanding and restaining at least once a year in order to maintain its natural lustre. However, all of this hard work leads to a beautiful looking door that elevates any exterior and provides an instant boost in kerb appeal.
How to find the right garage door for your home
When choosing your new garage door, considering the architectural style of your property is important. If you own a period property, a side hinged garage door is a timeless style that will likely complement these classic features. On the other hand, contemporary properties will likely benefit from a more modern door, such as a roller or sectional garage door, to enhance the sleek aesthetic.
It’s also crucial to take into account your needs before coming to a decision. Would you prefer a door that is low maintenance and simple to operate? Is insulation a must-have? Does your home have limited driveway space and therefore require a door with zero outward swing? Research the different garage door styles available, or consult with a trusted garage door company, like Shutter Spec, to talk through your requirements and preferences.
If you’re searching for the perfect garage door for your home in Oxford, Aylesbury, Thame, Reading, Newbury, Basingstoke and beyond, get in touch with the team at Shutter Spec Security. We offer a huge variety of garage doors sourced from leading manufacturers, so you can always be sure of an exceptional quality product. We have over 20 years of combined experience and our garage door experts can discuss your needs and guide you through the options we have available.