With winter fast approaching and colder temperatures closing in, mould can start to appear around your home. Although you might not realise it, your garage may present the ideal conditions for mould to thrive. Unfortunately, this means that your garage door can experience mould growth over time, which can be unpleasant and downright annoying to get rid of.
With this in mind, the team at Shutter Spec Security has written this article, detailing how you can remove mould from your garage door and prevent it from growing in the first place.
How to prevent mould from growing on your garage door
As the old adage goes, ‘prevention is better than cure’, and there are a number of ways that you can mould-proof your garage to prevent any mould from growing in the first place.
- Regular maintenance: Excess moisture can encourage mould growth, so it’s important to ensure that your garage door perfectly fits the frame with no gaps for water to leak through. Regular garage door maintenance will identify any potential issues that may affect the fit of your door at an early stage to ensure it continues to operate smoothly.
- Frequent ventilation and light: Mould thrives in damp, dark and humid conditions, so it’s vital that your garage gets regular light and air circulation. If you’re working on a project in there on a warm, sunny day, why not leave the garage door open for a few hours? Not only will this make your workspace more inviting, but it’ll let in some much-needed natural light. You could also consider investing in a dehumidifier to tackle this.
- Choose the right materials: Some garage doors will be more prone to mould than others; for example, uninsulated and wooden garage doors are often more susceptible due to their lack of weatherproofing. Therefore, it’s important to consider these factors when choosing a new garage door. You could also install insulation to your existing garage door to help regulate temperature and prevent humid conditions.
How to remove mould from your garage door
If the above advice has come too late and your garage door has already grown mould, follow this simple step-by-step guide to removing it.
- Wear protective gear: Mould removal can be hazardous and the last thing you want is to accidentally inhale any mould spores. Be sure to take the correct safety precautions by ventilating your space and wearing gloves, safety goggles and a mask.
- Have the right tools: By having the right tools on hand, you can ensure that mould removal is quick and efficient. This includes:
- Cleaning solution
- Bucket or spray bottle
- Soft-bristled brush
- Sponge or cloth
- Prepare your cleaning solution: Mix mild detergent and warm water in a bucket or spray bottle. Alternatively, there are a wide range of commercial cleaning solutions that can also do the trick.*
- Apply the cleaning solution: Next, apply your cleaning solution. This can be done by spraying it on or by using a sponge if the solution was mixed in a bucket.
- Scrub the door: After the cleaning solution has been left to sit for a few minutes, scrub the affected area with a soft-bristled brush or sponge. Use a firm circular motion and be patient — this may require some elbow grease!
- Rinse the door: Rinse the door with some water to remove any soap suds. If you notice that mould is still present, repeat the process again.
- Allow the door to air dry completely
* Every garage door is different. If you’re unsure what is best for your door, you should always consult a local garage door professional. They will make certain that the materials and methods you are using will not cause any damage or discolouration.
Are you looking to invest in a new garage door for your home in Oxford, Aylesbury, Thame, Reading, Newbury, Basingstoke or beyond? Here at Shutter Spec Security, we supply and install a wide range of high-quality garage doors, so you can be sure of a reliable, durable product that can withstand the unpredictable British weather.
We also carry out garage door maintenance to ensure that your garage door remains protected from mould this winter. For more information regarding our services, get in touch with our friendly team today.