A home isn’t complete without a garage door – and with so many styles and opening mechanisms out there, it can be a struggle to decide which one is right for you. In this garage door buying guide, we’ll explore the five most popular types of garage door, so you can choose a model that works for your home and lifestyle.
Roller Garage Doors
What is a roller garage door? By far, one of the more popular styles on the market, roller garage doors lift upwards to curl into a coil at the top of the door, making it a compact solution.
What are the benefits of a roller garage door?
- Space-saving: Roller doors tuck away in a roll at the top of the ceiling, saving on valuable space. Because they don’t swing out, you can park as close to the door as you wish – preserving space on your driveway, too.
- Highly customisable: Available in a wide choice of colours to suit your property.
- Energy efficiency: Insulated options are easily available with roller doors, enhancing the energy efficiency of your garage.
- Easily automated: The simplistic opening mechanism of roller doors makes it easy to automate an existing door.
Sectional Garage Doors
What is a sectional garage door? The clue is in the name; sectional garage doors retract upwards in sections, or panels, before curving round to slide into the ceiling on tracks.
What are the benefits of a sectional garage door?
- Saves driveway space: Like roller doors, they don’t swing outwards, allowing you to park your vehicles close to the door – saving room on your driveway. This makes it an idealchoice for smaller homes or shorter driveways.
- Strength and security: High standards of strength and security can be achieved with sectional doors, giving you peace of mind that your property is well-protected.
- Easily insulated: Improve the energy efficiency of your sectional door by choosing an insulative material.
- Suited for wide openings: If your garage has an unusually wide opening, sectional doors can be easily manufactured to suit these wide dimensions.
Side-Hinged Garage Doors
What is a side-hinged garage door? This stunning design swings open like a set of double doors, which offers a beautiful, homey take on a garage door.
What are the benefits of a side-hinged garage door?
- Perfect for narrow garages: If your garage is a little on the narrow side, then this style is the perfect choice, and will complement it’s daintier appearance. It also does not retract into the ceiling, saving you space overhead.
- Easy access: Due to their double-door appearance, pedestrian access is very simple and easy to operate – and bypasses the need to open both doors. This feature improves both convenience and security for the user, especially if you use your garage for things other than storing vehicles.
- Unique appearance: The charming appearance of side-hinged doors is akin to traditional double doors found on classic-style homes. They are also easily customisable, with a huge range of colours and materials on offer – including timber and steel.
Up and Over Garage Doors
What is an up and over garage door? One of the UK’s favourite garage door styles, an up and over door will lift outward and upwards as one whole section, before slotting away under the ceiling.
What are the benefits of an up and over garage door?
- Straightforward: This timeless, simple design has sustained its popularity, thanks to its easy operation and no-frills mechanism.
- Easy to automate: It’s uncomplicated design lends itself well for automation, further enhancing its ease of use.
- Wide range of materials and styles: Up and over doors are highly personalisable, with a variety of colours, textures and materials on offer to suit your tastes.
Automated Garage Doors
What is an automated garage door? Otherwise known as motorised or electric garage doors, these are remote-operated garage doors which are controlled by a button. Automated doors come in a variety of the above styles, and some existing un-automated doors may be eligible for automation.
What are the benefits of an automated garage door?
- Ultimate convenience: Simply put, motorised garage doors are the ultimate convenience, allowing you to safely open the door at the touch of a button. This makes them a godsend when leaving the house on time in the morning, or when you’re hit with a bout of bad weather and would rather stay in your car to open the garage.
- Ideal for those with mobility issues: Bypassing the need to leave the car to open the door, this automated opening makes it ideal for elderly people or those with mobility issues.
- Increases security and safety: Automated doors are a durable, robust option which offers a high standard of safety and security, making it difficult for intruders to gain access.
Some options also come with in-built sensors to prevent the door from closing when it senses an object below it – making it a child and pet-safe choice.
Searching for the perfect garage door? Here at Shutter Spec Security, we’re the go-to garage door suppliers and installers for Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Thame, Aylesbury and beyond. We have hundreds of styles in stock from leading manufacturers – so, if you need any more advice on choosing a garage door, our friendly team can discuss your options.